Inspired by my sister’s adorable post A heartfelt snowy sunday, I thought I’d share what my 2-year-old son and I have been working on for this February 14. We have grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends who all love to hear from our little man… and what better way to show them he loves them than with some homemade valentines.
Now for all of you moms and dads out there, you know the challenges of arts and crafts with a 2-year-old. My little guys loves arts and crafts, but our number one challenge is attention span. So I need to come up with fun, interactive, SIMPLE crafts that can be done in 10-15 minutes. So if you are on the lookout for similar types of projects, please give these a try:
- washable kids paint and paintbrush
- white paper
- colored/patterned cardstock
- Paint your child’s hand with paint and make handprints
- Let dry, then mom/dad cuts out handprint
- Give paintbrush to your child and let them paint glue onto the back of each print and push them onto a card
My son and I then decorated the back of each card with ink stamps, markers and stickers. We actually did this over the course of a few days… so he could work at it at his own speed and when he was inspired:) Just one word of warning… for the handprint phase, be sure to set up in an area of your home with easily washable surfaces:)
TISSUE PAPER HEARTS
This next project I got from a website I subscribe to: allfreekidscrafts.com
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Red, pink or white card stock
- Tissue paper (valentine colors and/or patterns)
- Wax Paper
- Paintbrush, Glue and Scissors
- Prep for Mom/Dad: cut a heart shape out of the card stock and cut tissue paper into 1.5-2″ squarish pieces
- Pour glue onto a plate/bowl
- Place wax paper under the heart cut-out
- Have toddler put tissue paper pieces over the cut-out and use paintbrush to paint glue over the top of the paper
- Let dry and slowly peel wax paper away
You can either leave it as is or cut around the heart shape (see examples of both above).
Full disclosure on this one. My son was a little young for this project. Because the tissue paper is so gentle, I had to help him with the brush. But I think in a few months, he’d be able to do this on his own:)
Well, that’s all I’ve got for now. Would love to hear what other moms and dads are doing with their little ones for Valentines this year… so please share!
And Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
2 thoughts on “Homemade Valentines with a Toddler”
Hi, i think that i saw you visited my weblog
so i came to “return the favor”.I am trying to find things to improve my web site!I suppose its ok to use a
few of your ideas!!